Monday 6 November 2017

Task 35: Raise £1,500 for charity

Right from the outset, I knew I wanted to include raising money for charity as part of the 60 at 60 challenges. To be really meaningful, a big part of the year had to be about helping others. I very rarely ask for sponsorship for anything, so I was hoping potential donors might take that into account and support the two charities I chose, even if they already give to a number of others. It seemed more likely that they - you - would be generous if a significant clutch of the challenges focused on activities that I'd clearly find scary. When I was first mulling over what to include, a friend suggested "eating at 10 restaurants I've never been to before". It was tempting but I couldn't honestly see many people agreeing to stump up for something so enjoyable. I had to accept that the Facing the Fear section had to be large and suitably daunting. I was so glad I'd already held a snake - an enormous python, in Key West - which ruled that out.

It seemed sensible to opt for two charities rather than one, so that people would have a choice - and some were likely to feel much more strongly about one than another. There are so many charities doing excellent work, it could have been a difficult decision, but it wasn't. As I thought about it, there was no doubt that Beating Bowel Cancer had to be one. This awful disease has had a profound impact on Peter and on his children, Richard and Helen, with the loss of his first wife Carole when she was only thirty. Too many of my friends have also had to cope with it and two are currently undergoing very tough treatment.

Arthritis is a condition that most people probably associate with the elderly, whereas it can also affect children and young people. My cheerful, fun-loving Grandma grew up with it as a child and was in almost constant pain until her forties, when she was a guinea pig for the replacement of both her hips. Like my brother, who has severe psoriatic arthritis, she never complained and made the most of life, even though she could walk only an inch or so at a time. A friend's grandson has also grown up with it and it is now affecting his jaw, as well as his legs and hips. He loves football but has had to start secondary school on crutches and sadly it won't be long before he is in a wheelchair. The work of Arthritis Research UK offers the possibility of a medical breakthrough which could transform his life - and provide relief and a better future for so many more.

I found it hard deciding what target to set, as I wanted it to be as large as possible while being realistic. Eventually I decided on £750 for each charity, secretly hoping to reach £1,000 each. If I could raise £2,500 in total, that would be wonderful. So far, thanks to your generosity, the total for Beating Bowel Cancer stands at £1,210, with £1,120 for Arthritis Research UK. This gives a grand total of £2,330 - only £170 short of what I would really love to raise.

I now have only two more challenges to achieve - mastering the Google map app, and learning a magic trick and posting a video of it on YouTube. I'm practising the magic but as expected, I'm hopeless at it, despite the excellent tuition kindly provided by Damian - the son of my friend Jackie - who's a member of the Magic Circle. Humiliation beckons, especially as somehow I've completely lost two of the coins I was supposed to be making disappear. I can't find them anywhere. 

The year ends at midnight on 2 December, so there's only just over three weeks to go. If you, or anyone you know, would be happy to help towards that last £170, I'd be so grateful. The links for making a donation online are https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/60at60challenge for Beating Bowel Cancer, and https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/60at60challenges  for Arthritis Research UK. Alternatively you could give me a cheque or cash, and I can pay it in on your behalf. 

The euphoria of reaching £2,500 would more than make up for looking an idiot on YouTube!

No comments:

Post a Comment